[Haskell-beginners] Beginner trying to install Haskell support in Eclipse and failing

Alan Shaw nodename at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 19:07:17 EDT 2010

Hi,
I'm using cabal for the first time, and I'm confused.

I'm trying to build scion as instructed at
http://eclipsefp.sourceforge.net/build.html .
I have done:

git clone git://github.com/JPMoresmau/scion.git
cd scion
cabal install

I'm now at the point where this tells me the following:

Resolving dependencies...
cabal.exe: dependencies conflict: ghc-6.10.4 requires Cabal ==1.6.0.3
however
Cabal-1.6.0.3 was excluded because scion-0.1.0.2 requires Cabal ==1.8.* &&
==1.8.*

Some more information:

$ cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.6.2
using version 1.6.0.3 of the Cabal library
$ cabal update
Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
Note: there is a new version of cabal-install available.
To upgrade, run: cabal install cabal-install
$ cabal install cabal-install
(lots and lots of output, ending with:)
Linking dist\build\cabal\cabal.exe ...
Installing executable(s) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Haskell\bin
$ cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.6.2
using version 1.6.0.3 of the Cabal library

Help?

Thanks,
-A