[Haskell-beginners] Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 04:44:30 EDT 2010

Jeff Greer <jgreer613 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ben,There is plenty of room at http://linuxagora.com for new reading groups. I&#39;ll add it to the list. If you know enough that would be interested in the Hutton book, it could be done concurrently.
> We are always open for new ideas.Thanks, Jeff

Thank you.

One issue with reading RWH online is the sheer quantity and length of
comments:  Many of the comments contain detailed supplementary
information, but reading through all the comments actually takes far
more time than reading the text, with the result that reading them both
together and practicing all the examples takes hours for a single
chapter.

It would be nice to have some kind of rating system/filter for the
comments (say, similar to that for _Slashdot Apple Stories_ [1]), so
that only comments above a certain rating could be filtered through.  I
usually wind up reading all the comments (some of which require
re-reading parts of the text for the context) for each section, and by
the time I am done with them, I usually don't have enough time (or
energy) left for the rest of the chapter until the next sitting.

One reason that I suggested _Programming in Haskell_ is that it takes
less time to read.  While I appreciate the opportunity to contribute to
editing RWH through comments, reading them all (and some need to be read
through to determine whether they are significant) in a reading group
with deadlines for reading each chapter can be too exhausting.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] _Slashdot Apple Stories._ Geeknet, Inc., 2010. Web. 3
Aug. 2010. <http://apple.slashdot.org/>.

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 02:54:58 +0900
> From: DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell)
> Subject: [Haskell-beginners] Re: Announcement: Real World Haskell -
>         Reading Group
> To: mailto:beginners at haskell.org
>
> Jeff Greer <mailto:jgreer613 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Russel,Thanks for the suggestion to start a Haskell Reading Group mail list. At the current time, I can not fit it into my schedul...  full time teaching job, gard school, and family....I hope some find the reading group useful.
>
>> -- http://teacherwikiweb.com
>
> My pleasure.  Incidentally, another great book I would suggest for a
> reading group would be _Programming in Haskell_ [1], by Graham Hutton.
>
> Does anybody have any plans to start a reading group for this book?
>
> -- Benjamin L. Russell
>
> [1] Hutton, Graham. _Programming in Haskell._ Cambridge: Cambridge
> University Press,
> 2007. Print. <http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/%7Egmh/book.html>.

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^