[Haskell-beginners] mayBe stuck

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 18:31:48 EDT 2010

This is happening because findIndex has the signature:
findIndex<http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/haskell98/latest/doc/html/List.html#v:findIndex>::
(a -> Bool) -> [a] -> Maybe Int

>From this we know that 'findIndex' can return a 'Just Int' or 'Nothing'.

GHC is telling you that you need to handle the case where the list element
you ask for does not exist and findIndex returns 'Nothing'.

The functions in the Maybe module [1]may be of some help here.

-deech

[1]
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/haskell98/latest/doc/html/Maybe.html