[Haskell-beginners] Just clarifying the "pred" and "succ" functions in Haskell

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 6 01:45:58 EST 2010

Andy Elvey wrote:
> So, I may look at doing what I would call "lpred" and lsucc" - the
> predecessor and successor of a list element. I'm somewhat surprised
> that (from what I can tell) Haskell doesn't seem to have those two
> functions for a list. I may be wrong....
Again, lists don't work that way; a list in Haskell is a single
immutable object, you can pull items from it using (!!), head, etc.,
but you can't have a pointer into the "middle" of a list.  You can
have a sublist (for example, `tail ["foo", "bar", "baz"]' = `["bar",
"baz"]') --- but you can't get from there to the "foo", as it isn't
part of that new list.  (This despite the fact that what `tail' gives
you is going to be shared in actual storage with the original list.
You don't have a backpointer into that original list to follow.)  This
is actually a feature of the Haskell model:  it's usually easier to
reason about these kinds of structures, where you can treat any
operation as producing a new object and the Haskell compiler takes
care of optimizations for you (shared representations, possibly
recognizing that it can quietly do an update-in-place because you
can't possibly reach the old value, etc.).

You may want to take a look at the Seq type defined in the Data.Seq
module, though; you have a `view' (what you can think of as a cursor)
on a given Seq which can be moved back and forth.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu