[Haskell-beginners] indentation

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Feb 14 18:00:05 EST 2010

On 14/02/10 22:05, Jorden Mauro wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Stephen Blackheath [to
> Haskell-Beginners] <mutilating.cauliflowers.stephen at blacksapphire.com>
> wrote:
>> Jorden,
>>
>> Cave persons such as yourself can use tabs as long as your tab size is 8
>> characters.  This is "hard-coded" into the Haskell 98 specification.
>>

> My editor, being made of sticks, some rocks, and the jawbone of an
> ass, just puts in a tab character. The graphical representation of a
> tab character expands from the insertion point to the nearest multiple
> of 8 characters, but that has no bearing on the file contents.

Sure it does, the bearing is that there's a tab character there.  ;-)

> Also, there are situations when a tab-boundary is not enough. What is the
> correct course of action here?

Other people have already suggested it: change editor.

Please let us know if there is *any* good reason for anyone to be using such a
limited editor in the 21st century.

> Currently, I usually try to change the line to spaces, or if I'm lazy,
> I'll put spaces after tabs, which I don't feel good about. My editor
> knows enough to indent the next line the same amount.

From this it sounds like you aren't using such a stone age editor after all.
Are you sure you can't get it to also convert tabs to spaces?

/M