[Haskell-beginners] Translating imperative algorithms to Haskell

Stephen Blackheath [to Haskell-Beginners] mutilating.cauliflowers.stephen at blacksapphire.com
Sun Feb 21 14:29:13 EST 2010

All,

And... A slight variation that shadows alpha (which some people don't
like, but I think it's a great technique) and thereby avoids the mistake
I made in my previous three versions where I forgot a ' in -negascout ch
(depth-1) (-beta) (-alpha').  (You have to watch that in Haskell.)

data Next a = Cont a | Break a

breakableFoldl :: (a -> b -> Next a) -> a -> [b] -> a
breakableFoldl body state xs = loop state xs
  where
    loop state [] = state
    loop state (x:xs) = case body state x of
        Cont state'  -> loop state' xs
        Break state' -> state'

negascout :: Node -> Int -> Int -> Int -> Int
negascout node depth _ _  | terminal node || depth == 0 = heuristic node
negascout node depth alpha0 beta = alphaOut
  where
    (alphaOut, _) = breakableFoldl (\(alpha, b) ch ->
            (alpha `max` negascout ch (depth-1) (-b) (-alpha))
                `betaCutoffOr` \alpha ->
                    if alpha >= b then      -- full re-search
                        (-negascout ch (depth-1) (-beta) (-alpha))
                            `betaCutoffOr` \alpha -> Cont (alpha, alpha+1)
                    else
                        Cont (alpha, alpha+1)
        ) (alpha0, beta) (children node)      -- initial window is
(-beta, -alpha)

    -- Break out if the input alpha value hits the beta cutoff,
otherwise pass
    -- it to a non-cutoff case.
    betaCutoffOr :: Int -> (Int -> Next (Int,Int)) -> Next (Int,Int)
    betaCutoffOr alpha _ | alpha >= beta = Break (alpha, undefined)
    betaCutoffOr alpha nonCutoffCase     = nonCutoffCase alpha

Steve