[Haskell-beginners] Maximum length of a GHCi command?

Kwanghoon Choi lazyswamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:54:38 EST 2010

Dear Haskeller,

I have a little issue in using GHCi as follows:

===
Prelude> length
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
<interactive>:1:254:
    lexical error in string/character literal at character '\EOT'
===

It seems to me that GHCi doesn't allow me to type more than some specified
length of a command.
Is this interpretation correct? How can I make it longer?

This issue is quite important at least to me. My tool is just a simple
Haskell program. I don't like to add any extra interactive environment, but
I like to just use GHCi as an interactive environment for my tool. I
strongly believe that this ides is pervasive among many haskellers.

Thanks in advance for your help/feedback in advance.

Kwanghoon