[Haskell-beginners] Re: Is haskell a good choice for someone, who never programmed before?

edgar klerks edgar.klerks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 19:54:24 EDT 2010

Hi Deech

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:25 AM, aditya siram <aditya.siram at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Edgar,
> If your friend is get-things-done kind of guy, in the beginning I
> think a language's Googleability is as important as the language
> itself. Second, is the language's ecosystem of development tools and
> libraries.
>
> I would pick a well supported language with functional features like
> Python or getting anything done will be frustrating.
>
> Haskell is awesome as a second language because it has a lot of
> features that don't make any sense (monads, for example) until you've
> done without them.

I am somewhat prejudiced, I always am about my newest language I am (still)
learning. But I find haskell has a lot of interesting lib, but sometimes
things are a bit undocumented. I have to admit that.

Haskell is my hobby language at the moment. I am slowly introducing it.
HaXml is really nice on the workfloor. I have used parsec too a couple of
times.

If he is starting from scratch he can pick the strange features up as if
there are normal. That would be a huge benefit. My own problem was that I
had an imperative way of thinking.

So it would be interesting to see, if he has the same problems as I had. I
think I would first try to learn him a bit of haskell and If he chokes on it
I can switch back to another language. Python would be a good choice. I like
python. It is easy to pick up.  And it doesn't have the bad habits php has.

Tnx for your advice.

Greets,

Deech