[Haskell-beginners] Help using Type Families

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 23:05:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM, MAN <elviotoccalino at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> should pass the parameters to (and run) the wrapped function.
>
> With that in mind I've defined the following type class. The older
> function is treated as an anonymous 'muscle', capable of taking its
> parameters ordered in some structure unknown.
>
>> class Show parType => MuscleCapable parType where
>>   -- | This could be a list or a tuple, etc. Whatever way of
> implementing it, it
>>   --   contains all necessary parameters to make the muscle produce a
> resource.
>>   --   Notice that this definition forces the type of ALL the
> parameters of
>>   --   the wrapped up muscle to be the same.
>>   data Parameters parType
>>
>>   -- | A way to obtain the values of a @Parameters a@, for printing
> purposes
>>   listOfParams :: Parameters parType -> [parType]
>>
>>   -- | This wrapper around the muscle function will allow me to
> produce a
>>   --   resource on demand.
>>   muscle :: Parameters parType -> IO FilePath
>
> But when trying to use that, I get different errors at compile time
> related to my (mis)use of type families, most of which are above my
> head.
> I use this dummy code to test the mechanism:
>
>> data ThreeTuple a = T3 a a a
>>
>> listFromThreeTuple :: ThreeTuple a -> [a]
>> listFromThreeTuple (T3 x y z) = [x,y,z]
>>
>> fun (T3 x y z) = do
>>   withFile "output.out" WriteMode $ flip hPutStrLn (concatMap show
> [x,y,z])
>>   return "output.out"
>>
>> instance MuscleCapable Int where
>>   data Parameters Int = ThreeTuple Int
>>   listOfParams = listFromThreeTuple
>>   muscle = fun
>
> This fires the following error in GHC (I do add the TypeFamilies
> LANGUAGE pragma):
> """
>    Couldn't match expected type `Parameters Int'
>           against inferred type `ThreeTuple Int'
>      NB: `Parameters' is a type function
> """
>
> If I use a similar data type without type parameters:
>
>> data ThreeTuple = T3 Int Int Int
>
> And modify the above snippet accordingly, I get the same thing:
> """
>    Couldn't match expected type `Parameters Int'
>           against inferred type `ThreeTuple'
>      NB: `Parameters' is a type function
>    In the expression: listFromThreeTuple
>    In the definition of `listOfParams':
> """
>
> Whatever alternative I try (and I have gone far along the trial-error
> path) inevitably yields those errors for both lines implementing
> 'listOfParams' and 'muscle'.
>
> Could somebody help me understand what's going on? I'm really lost at
> this point.
>

> PS: My first attempt at the class used 'type' to define the associated
> type. I had to switch to 'data' due to problems regarding the chosen
> type not being _injective_. GHC error messages and the paper "Fun with

The error is with your data instance declaration:

> data Parameters Int = ThreeTuple Int

You're treating a data declaration as if it were a type declaration -
a data declaration needs to have a constructor, something like:

> data Paramter Int = ParamInt (ThreeTuple Int)

would be more likely to type check.

Then you'd have to pattern match on the constructor to deconstruct it.

Type errors aside, all of this looks really really complicated, and
from what you're describing I'm not sure it needs to be.

Why not just have two functions, one which wraps around the first? Or
if you want to write code in a reusable manner, ordinary higher-order
functions work well:

> writeToFileIfNonExistent :: FilePath -> (FilePath -> IO ()) -> IO ()
> writeToFileIfNonExistent path action
>  = do
>   exists <- doesFileExist path
>   unless exists $ action path
>   return ()

> coreFileWritingFunction :: Param1 -> Param2 -> Param3 -> FilePath -> IO ()
> coreFileWritingFunction p1 p2 p3 path = withFile path WriteMode $ \handle -> ...

> slickNewWrapper :: Param1 -> Param2 -> Param3 -> FilePath -> IO ()
> slickNewWrapper p1 p2 p3 = writeToFileIfNonExistent $ coreFileWritingFunction p1 p2 p3

I've chosen silly names for my functions, but I hope you get the idea.
Don't hesitate to respond if you have any questions.

Antoine