[Haskell-beginners] Re: how to update cabal?

prad prad at towardsfreedom.com
Mon Jun 28 03:46:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:18:02 +0200
Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:

> The new cabal-0.8.2 is probably installed in $HOME/.cabal/bin and
> that directory isn't in your $PATH. Add it to your path (if it isn't
> in) before the directory where cabal-0.8.0 is in, so version 0.8.2 is
> found first.
thx daniel!

that would appear to have been my problem too.

for instance,

$ /usr/bin/cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.8.0
using version 1.8.0.2 of the Cabal library

vs

$ .cabal/bin/cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.8.2
using version 1.8.0.2 of the Cabal library

but after putting it in the PATH
eg in .bashrc export ~/.cabal/bin:$PATH

we get
cabal -V
cabal-install version 0.8.2
using version 1.8.0.2 of the Cabal library

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's