[Haskell-beginners] Haskell Serialization

Tom Hobbs tvhobbs at googlemail.com
Mon May 10 04:11:49 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any articles relating to de/serialization in Haskell?
 I've been reading these:

-
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/binary/0.4.1/doc/html/Data-Binary.html

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization#Haskell
- http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/stdclasses.html (The Read/Show bits)

...and I'd like some more examples etc.

My situation is basically this, I have a non-Haskell black-box tuple space (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple_space) which I want to use Haskell to
read/write data from/into.  I had trouble understanding how Read/Show could
help me here.  Data.Binary made more sense, but like I say, I'd really like
to find some more articles and examples.

Even apart from the tuple space stuff.  I'm trying to piece together in my
mind how I'd read some serialized data from anywhere and turn that into a
Haskell data type in a nicely reusable way.

I've been flicking through Real World Haskell and couldn't see much that I
found helpful for this.

Many thanks,

Tom