[Haskell-beginners] Haskell described as a "rigid" language

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Tue May 18 09:41:09 EDT 2010

Yes I would agree that rigidity and flexibility are closely related,
but I think in this case the connotation is more important.

Rigid can negatively connote an imposing of your will onto others, and
a general unwillingness to adapt to a situation or take advice.
Flexibility has the opposite connotation and in this light they are at
odds.

On the other hand rigid positively connotes rigor, having an
unwavering standard of quality. From this point of view something can
be rigid and flexible - and perhaps Haskell is best seen in this
light. It lets you do whatever you want so long as your ideas are
pretty clear but it isn't forgiving to fuzziness of thought. That is
frustrating to beginners like me whose thoughts are eternally fuzzy
but I know this is my problem and not the languages'.

-deech