[Haskell-beginners] Looking for more information about Pattern Matching

Graham Hopper graham at garden-images.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 02:35:13 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am very much a newbie to Haskell and currently working through
http://learnyouahaskell.com and trying some of the
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/99_questions. I am struggling to get my
head around pattern matching. I think I can understand the individual
patterns presented in LYAH, but can't seem to find any information about
generalising the formats.

Is there a good resource that describes the patterns that are available or
provides more details about how to create them.

For example the format of [x] and (x:xs) seem very different and I cant
quite get a handle on the syntax(?) behind them. I can see how patterns work
when shown an example, but wouldn't know how to create one from scratch.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say - its a little difficult
to explain.

Thanks

Graham