[Haskell-beginners] A question on types

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 11:01:47 CEST 2011

On 1 Aug 2011, at 09:53, Arlen Cuss wrote:

> 01.08.2011 17:52, C K Kashyap kirjutas:
>> Hi,
>> To clarify my understanding, I created this table
>>
>> |         | weak | strong  |
>> | dynamic | perl | Ruby    |
>> | static  | C    | Haskell |
>
> Yes, though I'm not sure you could call Ruby's types "strong" either; it
> doesn't really have types in a such a defined sense (objects have
> classes, but that's not a "type" as such).
>
> I'm not qualified to comment on perl either.

Which really highlights that strong/weak is not a binary thing.  There's not even a sliding scale, but instead, simply different properties.  For example, Javascript will happily let you compare "0" with 0.  C won't let you do that, but it will let you treat an integer as a pointer and vice versa.

Bob