[Haskell-beginners] Cannot install cairo with cabal...

Sean Charles sean at objitsu.com
Thu Jul 7 10:19:26 CEST 2011

flushed as in happy, not like a buffer, with my recent OpenGL and
haskell hacking I attempted to install cairo to try rendering a cairo
generated image into a GL texture but once again, the sometimes
obstreperous cabal is making it hard.

<rant>
I sometimes think that cabal is the "weak" point for newbies like me
accepting Haskell in all its goodness... if you can't cleanly and simply
install libraries then ultimately you will walk away for something less
obstructive...
</rant>

Can anybody tell me that this means and how to solve it ?
Thanks,
Sean.

-----
scharles at ubuntu:~/stuff/hackinge/objitsu/trunk/haskell/felt/src$ cabal
--version
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version 1.10.2.0 of the Cabal library
scharles at ubuntu:~/stuff/hackinge/objitsu/trunk/haskell/felt/src$ ghc
--version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.3
scharles at ubuntu:~/stuff/hackinge/objitsu/trunk/haskell/felt/src$ ghci
--version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.3
-----

/tmp/cairo-0.12.013023/cairo-0.12.0/Gtk2HsSetup.hs:25:2:
      warning: #warning Setup.hs is guessing the version of Cabal. If
compilation of Setup.hs fails use -DCABAL_VERSION_MINOR=x for Cabal
version 1.x.0 when building (prefixed by --ghc-option= when using the
'cabal' command)
[1 of 2] Compiling Gtk2HsSetup      (
/tmp/cairo-0.12.013023/cairo-0.12.0/Gtk2HsSetup.hs,
/tmp/cairo-0.12.013023/cairo-0.12.0/dist/setup/Gtk2HsSetup.o )

/tmp/cairo-0.12.013023/cairo-0.12.0/Gtk2HsSetup.hs:201:69:
     Couldn't match expected type `PackageDBStack'
            against inferred type `PackageDB'
     In the sixth argument of `registerPackage', namely `packageDb'
     In the expression:
         registerPackage
           verbosity installedPkgInfo pkg lbi inplace packageDb
     In a case alternative:
         _ | modeGenerateRegFile -> die "Generate Reg File not supported"
           | modeGenerateRegScript -> die "Generate Reg Script not
supported"
           | otherwise
           -> registerPackage
                verbosity installedPkgInfo pkg lbi inplace packageDb
cairo-0.12.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1