[Haskell-beginners] Cannot install cairo with cabal...

Jack Henahan jhenahan at uvm.edu
Thu Jul 7 12:38:23 CEST 2011

That looks like it might be a bug in the source. What it says, in short, is that it expects that sixth argument in (i.e., registerPackage _ _ _ _ _ O) to be a PackageDBStack, but instead it's a PackageDB.

The lines around where the error occurs are

    #if CABAL_VERSION_CHECK(1,10,0)
                                        installedPkgInfo pkg lbi inplace [packageDb]
    #else
                                        installedPkgInfo pkg lbi inplace packageDb
    #endif

So it seems that it can't infer your cabal's minor version, so it drops into the else. Do you get any different result when you call `cabal install --ghc-option=DCABAL_VERSION_MINOR=10 cairo`?