[Haskell-beginners] Anyone have problems with cabal and SDL?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 08:40:25 CEST 2011

On 17 July 2011 02:18, Ben Sanders <bwsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for this.
> I downloaded the source for TimePiece and am trying to get it running on my
> Mac.
> When I do a cabal install, I get the output below.
> Feels like I am missing something simple, but various searches haven't

> Preprocessing library SDL-0.6.2...
> General.hsc: In function ‘main’:
> General.hsc:60: error: ‘SDL_INIT_CDROM’ undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> General.hsc:60: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> General.hsc:60: error: for each function it appears in.)
> compiling dist/build/Graphics/UI/SDL/General_hsc_make.c failed (exit code 1)

I believe Cabal is shelling out to the C compiler at this point, and
the C compiler cannot find the macro SDL_INIT_CDROM...

Have you got the "dev" files for SDL installed - i.e. the C Header files?

Alternatively is SDL_INIT_CDROM a old or new macro in the SDL library
that isn't in the version you have installed?