[Haskell-beginners] Combining GHC library and Platform documentation

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jul 19 10:07:18 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 05:51:31AM +0000, Mister Globules wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the instructions to install GHC from pre-compiled binaries and the
> Haskell Platform from source
> (http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/haskell-platform.xhtml).
>
> It works fine (i.e. ghc, ghci, etc.), but the GHC and platform library
> documentation are in different directories, even when I give the same --prefix
> and --docdir argument to their respective configure scripts.  Also, the GHC
> index.html file only refers to its own libraries; there's no mention of the
> other libraries included with the platform.
>
> Is there a simple way to create one index.html file with links to all the
> documentation?
>
> As a bonus, is it possible to do the same thing with libraries that I install
> with cabal?
>
> - Globules
>

> P.S.
>
> This is on Kubuntu.  I'm installing it myself, rather than using apt-get, in
> order to get the most recent version of the platform.

Hopefully you have a script installed, as part of ghc itself, called
gen_contents_index.  It's what we in Arch use to update the index.html
file when installing/removing Haskell packages.  I'm not sure it
already supports privately installed packages, but hopefully it won't
be too difficult to modify.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay