[Haskell-beginners] Install on "foreign" server problem

Aleksandar Dimitrov aleks.dimitrov at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:42:41 CEST 2011

Hi Lawrence

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:42:07AM -0500, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> I'm trying to install the binary of 7.0.3 on a Bluehost.com server where I
> have an account and ssh shell. I want to eventually run Yesod or happstack
> or some other sort of haskell on web. I've talked with their tech support
> and they're cool with it as long as it's in-place. Good. I try the
> ./configure and it errors saying things like:
>
> checking for path to top of build tree...
> utils/ghc-pwd/dist/build/tmp/ghc-pwd: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.9'
> not found (required by utils/ghc-pwd/dist/build/tmp/ghc-pwd)
> utils/ghc-pwd/dist/build/tmp/ghc-pwd: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7'
> not found (required by utils/ghc-pwd/dist/build/tmp/ghc-pwd)
> configure: error: cannot determine current directory
>
> I'm not (nor ever was) much of a sysadmin type. Any advice?

It seems that 64-bit libc isn't installed on the host system. I'm gonna assume
it's probably some sort of *NIX box that isn't Linux, and you downloaded the
Linux version of GHC. I have no idea what bluehost.com runs. Can you issue

uname -a

on the command line and report the output?

> Actually, I'm just trying to do Web with Haskell on a server/cloud other
> than my own home box. I have a Web client and I'd like to get us off PHP.
> Any Haskell-friendly clouds/hosts to suggest?

I, unfortunately, have no idea of any specific offerings, but almost any modern
Linux system should be fine.

Note that if you don't have root access, you'll have to compile some stuff
yourself (or ask the admin to kindly install stuff for you) and then set the
LD_PATH and similar goodness, since you're most likely going to have to install
libgpm3, which isn't necessarily pre-installed on a web host. It's possible,
though, and I can even try to help you with that, because I've done it before.

Aleks