[Haskell-beginners] Memory usage patterns for server-like processes

Sean Charles sean at objitsu.com
Mon Jun 13 15:42:35 CEST 2011

Does anybody know of any reading material that I can ingest that will
give me a good feel for how Haskell memory allocation may (or may not)
spike at run-time.

I want to write a server process (yes, another web server) as part of my
continued learning and I just wondered how lazy evaluation might affect
a long running server process under a heavy "slashdot" type of load.

I know there are lazy and strict alternatives to a lot of functions, I
understand 9at least in principle) that you can use strict forms in
Data.Map et al. to ensure that the contents aren't thunked, and I know
that you can use $! to enforce a return result to be evaluated rather
than thunked but are there still issues to be wary of or am I needlessly
scaring myself?

Has anybody got any long-term use cases with Yesod, HappStack, Snapp and
such like.

It would be interesting to know!

:)
Thanks,