[Haskell-beginners] A first try

David Place d at vidplace.com
Fri Jun 24 14:43:59 CEST 2011

Hi, Panagiotis.

The wc program is a good choice for a learning program, but it reveals a long-standing weakness in Haskell: Lazy-IO.  I think you will find that your program will get an error if you try to run wc on many files.  You will open too many files at once.

There is a solution called IterateeIO.  It's extremely elegant and very good Haskell, but quite challenging to understand.  So far, I have not found a good tutorial.

Luck for you the best example program is an implementation of wc!

I posted it in hpaste.org.  (A Haskell-specific version of pasteBin.)

> http://hpaste.org/48254

Cheers,
David

David Place