[Haskell-beginners] DSL for Android development

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Jun 27 19:47:39 CEST 2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:04:55 +0100
Sean Charles <sean at objitsu.com> wrote:

> As a yet to be published iPhone hacker, now somewhat saddened by the
> AppStore bouncers, I've turned to Android. I have a lot of Java and J2ME
> experience but only eight months with Haskell. I hate java. The JVM is
> awesome. Clojure is wish-fulfillment for Android right now.

There are other choices. Have you looked into Scala or Groovy?

> So... where would be a good place to start with a DSL that could produce
> Java code as its output? This is new to me! I've written simple lexers
> and parsers and I know the ropes on that front but I don't know haskell
> well enough yet to know how to go about it. I am thinking that I'd need
> to create data types for the major classes, or maybe not, if i can
> produce my own abstraction that generated multiple classes in the output
> etc and so i descend into confusion about where to start!

This seems like an odd approach.

> I did consider writing a "true" language that will code-generate
> java instead of a DSL, that's still in my mind too.

If by this, you mean generating JVM byte codes directly, I'd be
interested in why this is a second choice behind generating Java?
Generating JVM shouldn't be noticeably harder, should result in better
code, can be moved to Android, and is the path taken by other
languages running on the JVM.

Sorry I can't help directly - but I'm also interested in Android
development and hate Java (and find the infrastructure around it
disappointing.)

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.