[Haskell-beginners] Why aren't David Harley's QT bindings more popular?

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed Jun 29 10:59:16 CEST 2011

Mats Rauhala wrote:
> Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
>> wxHaskell intends to get into the Haskell Platform, but it needs
>> more manpower. You can help!
>>
>>   http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.wxhaskell.devel/616
>>
>> I'm actively working on FRP and have released the library
>>
>>   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive-banana
>>
>> If you have any suggestions, questions, needs for learning material,
>> write me an email. Try the package and the developer blog
>>
>> http://apfelmus.nfshost.com/blog.html#functional-reactive-programming-frp
>>
>> and tell me of your learning journey; I'll figure out whether I
>> should create a written tutorial, video tutorial or something else
>> to help understand FRP.
>>

>> The package
>>
>>   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive-banana-wx
>>
>> includes a tiny working example for  wxHaskell .
>>

> That seems promising. If you're really trying to get wxhaskell into
> Haskell Platform, it must be more mature than I initially thought.

(Just to clarify: I'm not involved in the wxHaskell project, I'm just
cheering for it.)

> wxHaskell itself seems to be more functional than the GTK library I'm
> used to, which is enough motivation to try and learn it. Add to it the
> reactive-bananas library, and this might become something great. I
> initially had the idea that reactive-bananas was little more than just
> a proof of concept, but seems like I was mistaken about that too :).
> Keep up the good work.

Indeed, reactive-banana intended to be a solid work horse. :) The FRP
model is quite conservative because of this.

Of course, the library does cover new ground, nobody has figured out the
most pleasant abstractions for dealing with common GUI tasks yet, but
I'm in the process of finding some out.

I would like to encourage you to try it out and get back to me with any
issues you have, both concerning documentation/learning and
functionality. For instance, one of the authors of Leksah has
experimented with it; while he had more ambitious plans than
reactive-banana can handle at the moment, it prompted me to come up with
the pleasing improvements in version 0.3. Not to mention that I now have
a new use case to keep in mind for the big picture.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com