[Haskell-beginners] Why aren't David Harley's QT bindings more popular?

Kyle Murphy orclev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:57:10 CEST 2011

I've been really busy the last couple days and haven't had a chance to do
more than look over reactive-banana, but I do recall looking at it
previously and thinking it was a) really interesting looking, and b) I
really need to go back through the typeclass-o-pedia because I don't really
understand a lot of the types the core of it is built around.

On the topic of wxWidgets, I really like the design of it, much more than
GTK, which is part of the reason it was one of the first GUI libraries I
tried to get working with Haskell. Unfortunately at the time (this was right
around the transition to 6.12) I had all kinds of problems getting wxHaskell
to work in Windows, even though it seemed to work well enough in Linux. At
the time at least one of my key requirements was cross-platform support, so
I had to abandon wxHaskell after I couldn't get it to work in Windows after
more than a week of struggling with it. I've since managed to get GTK
working cross-platform, but like others I've found it to be almost painfully
procedural, and even then the process of getting it working was not exactly
trivial. Once I get a little bit of time free I intend to try to get
wxHaskell working in Windows again (hopefully now that 7.0 has stabilized a
bit this should be a little smoother), and revisit reactive-banana. Worst
case scenario maybe I'll at least get a better understanding of some of the
more high level types out of it this time.

-R. Kyle Murphy
--
Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.