[Haskell-beginners] Monads

Patrick Lynch kmandpjlynch at verizon.net
Fri Mar 4 23:20:27 CET 2011

Good afternoon,

It does make sense...thank you...

I've just completed the online Haskell publication:  "Learn You a Haskell
for Great Good" -- see url:   http://learnyouahaskell.com/chapters
It will be available in book form this month from Amazon...I've purchased a
copy of it...
It shows the relationship between Functors, Applicative Functors, Monoids
and Monads...
It also contains many examples...
I found it to be at a programmer's level...
I think that I'm at a point where I know what I don't know..

I'll proceed onto the book:  "Haskell The Craft of Functional Programming"
and see if I can understand Monads in it...
I'd love to take a crack at Category Theory [my mathematics is good] but
this looks like a formidable task...
I'll proceed using the Monad classes and instances as is - and hope that at
some point I'll be able to create my own Monads...

I'm an independent software consultant, been doing it for 30 years, and I'm
trying to choose between Haskell, F# , C#-VB.Net or Ruby on Rails...

Good weekend

btw: can you create a class in Haskell -[I'm guessing the answer to this is
no -- see below, it doesn't work]?

     class MyCalculator a where
     myadd::( Num a) => a -> a -> a
     myAdd x y = x + y