[Haskell-beginners] Does haskell have to have values?

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 09:42:52 CEST 2011

2011/3/27 Ertugrul Soeylemez <es at ertes.de>

>  You can write proper Haskell programs
> without ever knowing, what a thunk is or how lazy evaluation is
> /implemented/.

While this is probably true, in my case learning about thunks was a major
step in understanding haskell.

Coming from an imperative perspective, I always had the habit of matching
langage constructs with how that would be done in assembly.

It felt like I would never be able to move forward with understanding
haskell as long as I didn't understand (at least in a fuzzy way) how it
works at the lower levels.

Also knowing about thunks probably help understand strictness, space leaks
issues and so on, which tend to be necessary to write proper Haskell
programs.

David.