[Haskell-beginners] Compiling with HDBC

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Fri May 13 08:17:47 CEST 2011

On 13 May 2011 07:50, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Friday 13 May 2011 07:44:18, David McBride wrote:
> > Use ghc --make.
>
> This. You rarely need to specify libraries and packages with make.
> For nontrivial projects, use Cabal.

Personally I'd recommend even trivial projects to use Cabal. If it's a
"project" and not just a 15 minute job, cabal init. It takes 2~ minutes to
edit the resulting Cabal file with the libs you need. cabal-dev would also
be very helpful to newbies. The amount of time I wasted as a newbie
reinstalling packages because I had conflicts with existing installed
packages... cabal-dev solves this and lets you get back to hacking.