[Haskell-beginners] Problems linking code from the book Haskell School of Expression

Philippe Sismondi psismondi at arqux.com
Fri Nov 25 20:08:41 CET 2011

On 2011-11-25, at 1:28 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:16, Philippe Sismondi <psismondi at arqux.com> wrote:
> ld: warning: ignoring file /opt/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
>
> Was the MacPorts gtk2 port built +universal?  ("port installed gtk2", see if what it prints includes "+universal".)  SL on most modern Macs builds 64-bit by default, whereas the ghc stuff in MacPorts is 32-bit only.

I guess I did not supply enough info.

I don't see why the architecture of macports stuff would make a difference. I should perhaps have said in the original post that I have no macports haskell software installed. I am not using the macports haskell-platform port. I am using the OS X Haskell Platform package downloaded from the web: Haskell Platform 2011.2.0.1-i386.pkg. To answer your question, though, here is the gtk2 macports info:

> port installed gtk2
  gtk2 @2.24.4_0+x11
  gtk2 @2.24.8_1+x11 (active)

Why is ghc linking against anything installed by macports, i.e. libs in /opt/local/lib? Why would the flag -L/opt/local/lib be in the link step of ghc --make? Is this usual for ghc, or is it more likely something in my setup?

Here are the library directories installed in ~/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.0.3/lib. Shouldn't ghc just link against these?

cairo-0.12.2
gio-0.12.2
glib-0.12.2
gtk-0.12.2