[Haskell-beginners] [aklug] Re: VPS

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Tue Oct 4 22:10:24 CEST 2011

On 10/04/2011 08:36 AM, adam bultman wrote:
> What, do I have to *give* you one or something? Because I can, y'know.
>
> Just so long as you don't spam :)
>
> On 10/03/2011 06:59 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> On 10/03/2011 02:28 PM, adam bultman wrote:
>>> Choward, any chance you have a legitimate email somewhere else you could
>>> relay through, authenticated-style?
>>>
>> Legitimate!? My server is legitimate!!!
>>
>> Assuming you mean a gmail account or such... no.
>>
>>> You'd accept mail on your dynamic IP, but any outgoing mail sent via
>>> your server would be relayed through a third party, via your username
>>> and password.  It's pretty easy to set up in Postfix, anyway, even with
>>> TLS to boot.

heh, heh... thanks, but I actually like the VPS idea better, as I was
thinking about getting a cheap one to play around with anyway. Even the
cheapest one comes with a static IP, so I could just receive the mail
there and forward it on to my personal server, or something like that.

As a point of curiosity: with your suggestion, do you rewrite the sender
field, or do you send and receive e-mails with different addresses? It
seems like a few years ago I remember trying to use a server belonging
to one domain to send mail from another domain, and some of the mail was
bounced back because the receiving servers detected that the domain in
the sender field did not match that of the sending server.

@Bruce: Thanks also for the offer, but I think I'll try out a VPS solution.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us