[Haskell-beginners] error handling approaches

Michael Litchard michael at schmong.org
Mon Sep 12 01:48:49 CEST 2011

Here's the gist of the code I am looking to incorporate error handling into

> worldHandler :: ProcessState -> JobCount -> IO ()
> worldHandler world jCount = do
>    putStrLn "Entered worldHandler"
>    jcount <- takeMVar jCount
>    if jcount > 0
>       then incrementThenDone jcount
>       else doJobProcessing jcount
>       where incrementThenDone jcount = do
>                 putMVar jCount (jcount+1)

>             doJobProcessing jcount = do
>                 putMVar jCount (jcount+1)
>                 preProcess world
>                 initiateJob world
>                 makeChart world

Here's main

> main :: IO ()
> main = do
>     world <- (newEmptyMVar :: IO ProcessState)
>     jCount <- (newMVar 0 :: IO JobCount)
>     installHandler userDefinedSignal1 (Catch $ worldHandler world jCount) Nothing
>     forever (threadDelay 10000)

the functions preProcess, initiateJob, and makeChart is where I need
be concerned with errors. The idea is that if any of those functions
fail, I decrement jCount. call logError, and continue waiting for the
next signal.
each of these functions will be starting another process,
readProcessWithExitCode looks like what I want. I will then use the
exit code to determine success or failure.

General ideas about how to approach this, and any questions that come
to mind would be appreciated.