[Haskell-beginners] Functional programming principles at higher levels?

Christopher Howard christopher.howard at frigidcode.com
Mon Sep 26 04:47:48 CEST 2011

On 09/25/2011 03:26 PM, mike.w.meyer at gmail.com wrote:
> On the other hand, 'Real World Haskell' doesn't involve all that much math, either. Nor did what I got through of 'Write yourself a Scheme in 48 Hours' (I switched to RWH because you can find solutions to the exercises in the reader comments). Or did you consider those "ridiculous" tutorials as well?

I hated Real World Haskell. IIRC, didn't get into any of the theory, and
the "real world" examples didn't seem very real world, either.

I should probably clarify... I don't think it is a bad think that
Haskell is all about higher math. I just hated the tutorials and books
that pretended like this wasn't the case and try to teach you Haskell
like you are learning PHP. Personally I find lambda calculus and type
theory to be quite interesting and, I suspect, the salvation of the
modern programming mess. Unfortunately though they depend on a lot of
material I didn't learn in college because the lame C++ OOP courses I
was taking gave me the impression that there was zero connection between
mathematics and real life programming.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us