[Haskell-beginners] sorting almost sorted list

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:51:42 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 27 September 2011, 13:46:52, Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> I wrote:
> > After running some tests, it seems empirically that
> > you can use m `div` 2 instead of m for lists of even
> > length, which gives you a nice speedup for larger
> > values of m. For lists of prime length, the best
> > you can do seems to be m-1. It's more complicated
> > for lists of non-prime odd length.
> > I can't immediately see why any of that is true.
>
> Well, obviously, that weird behavior has to do with
> the regularity of my test data. If I randomize more,
> the results become more believable. It seems that
> m-1 or m-2 work empirically, but that could just
> be because the probability of a collision is extremely
> low.

Yes. With less regular data, we need to consider all chunks of length d in
the input, not only those starting at index k*d.
If any of them meets three m-chunks (where m is the parameter to
sortAlmostBy), the precondition of sortAlmostBy may be violated.
The smallest m to guarantee the preconditions is then m = d-1.
But with less regular data, if the list is almost monotonically increasing,
the probability that the last element of a d-chunk is smaller than the
first is significantly lower than 1/2, so you have a much bigger chance
that m = d-2 will work than in the regular case for odd d.
[To disambiguate: parenthesise as ... than (in the ... odd d).]