[Haskell-beginners] Design of Webmachine in Haskell

Petar Radosevic petar at wunki.org
Mon Apr 16 17:05:23 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> writes:

> When I was at QCon, I heard a talk from Steve Vinoski on Webmachine,
> and I was surprised to hear how close webmachine was to Haskell
> already, The concept is basically sticking a state monad on top of
> WAI. My guess is you would want to use a record type for a Resource,
> not a typeclass, to make it easier to swap out behaviors. But
> honestly, I haven't given this any thought since I saw the
> presentation 6 months ago.

Thanks for your insight, I didn't even consider using record types for a
resource. Will also read up upon state monads. I believe that Webmachine
passes a dictionary to every function in the HTTP graph[1]. Do you see
the state monad having this purpose?

[1]: https://bitbucket.org/justin/webmachine/wiki/BigHTTPGraph
--
Petar Radosevic | @wunki