[Haskell-beginners] literate programming

Andres Löh andres.loeh at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 16 23:01:21 CEST 2012

Hi.

> I am just toying around with Cordelia Hall and John O'Donnell excellent book
> on dicrete mathematics with Haskell. Well, they have a program, stdm,
> to accompany the book. It happens that it is in literate style. In theory,
> this should be very easy to work with, but after saving it with lhs
> extension, I try
> to load it, without success. Could somebody out there help me with this?

You should say where you got the file, and explain what "without
success" means. Also, it's relevant which version of GHC you're using
(assuming you're using GHC). I googled and downloaded this file

  http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~jtod/discrete-mathematics/Stdm.lhs

I can successfully load it in both ghc-7.0.4 and ghc-7.4.1 by saying

  ghci -XHaskell98 Stdm.lhs

The -XHaskell98 specifies that the file is written in Haskell98 rather
than the more recent Haskell2010 standard. If you're using an older
ghc version (ghc-6.12.3, for example), this flag isn't required.

HTH,
  Andres