[Haskell-beginners] Cross-platform .hs files on Linux and Windows

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 10:13:15 CEST 2012

Marius Ghita <mhitza <at> gmail.com> writes:

> And thats expected given than the shebang is *nix specific.

Perhaps not unexpected, but not necessary either. I may be wrong, but it seems
reasonable to assume there's a common code base for the Haskell Platform for
Linux and Windows versions. Presumably there's code for the parser to the skip
shebang line on Linux - there's no reason why it couldn't do the same on
Windows. As it is, it's just an unhelpful impediment to having cross-platform
scripts (unless there's a good reason for it - I couldn't think of one).

Coincidentally, I am working on functionality which brings shebang line
processing to Windows, primarily for Python scripts but it also works with other
scripting languages (like Perl). That's not why I posted this, though - I was
just given a set of scripts and want to use them on Windows without changing
them just for this.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip