[Haskell-beginners] Program reliability and multiple data constructors; polymorphism

Markus Läll markus.l2ll at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:51:45 CEST 2012

If you want type safety, then use different types (data Circle, data
Rectangle, ..) and implement the properties you want via classes, i.e
'class HasRadius a', 'class HasSomethingElse a' and some such. Right
now you only have one type, and wanting it to be type safe at that is,
khm ..impossible.

In general, for all of what you program you should have some specific
goal in mind, a concrete outcome. For the radius problem the solution
could also be (instead of having it as a class) of giving it the type
of 'Shape -> Maybe Float' and have it return 'Nothing' when radius
isn't applicable. When you just tinker away and try to solve all of 2D
geometry with it, or any part of it at random, usually leads to
nowhere (for me at least).

Edit:

Just noticed the subject which says "polymorphism" at the end.

In Haskell you can have structural polymorphism, like 'data X a = X a'
where 'X a' is polymorphic at 'a' -- you can have any type at the
place of 'a'. Or or ad hoc polymorphism -- the thing that classes do.
The Shape data type in the initial post is monomorphic and recursive.

Markus Läll