[Haskell-beginners] wrapping text in a multiline string

Rico Moorman rico.moorman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:52:44 CEST 2012

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I just tried the character class
you mentioned and it works.

The stackoverflow post you mentioned was a nice read and I surely agree
that regular expressions are normally not the way to go for most HTML
munging needs. But luckily the generated HTML from pandoc is very specific
and the <table> tag I wanted to match (for line-numbered code listings)
does not contain any further tables so I thought it should be safe to
approach it like this.

The resulting code is now:

-- Wraps numbered code listings within the page body with a div
-- in order to be able to apply some more specific styling.
wrapNumberedCodelistings (Page meta body) =
    Page meta newBody
    where
        newBody = regexReplace
"<table\\s+class=\"sourceCode[^>]+>[\\s\\S]*?</table>" wrap body
        wrap x = "<div class=\"sourceCodeWrap\">" ++ x ++ "</div>"

-- Replaces the whole match for the given regex using the given function
regexReplace :: String -> (String -> String) -> String -> String
regexReplace regex replace text = go text
    where
        go text = case text =~~ regex of
            Just (before, match, after) ->
                before ++ replace match ++ go after
            _ -> text

Don't know though if it could be cleaned up further or even if this is by
any means good style (being still fairly new to haskell).

Furthermore I would still be very interested in the right approach to
manipulating the HTML structure as a whole and I too hope that another
Haskeller could name a more suitable solution for manipulating HTML.
Or even how to pass the 's' modifier to Text.Regex.PCRE.

Best regards,

rico