[Haskell-beginners] flatten comma operator

Arlen Cuss a at unnali.com
Wed Jun 6 13:06:04 CEST 2012

On Wednesday, 6 June 2012 at 5:46 PM, Kees Bleijenberg wrote:
> This is indeed the code I was talking about.
> I did not understand how I could create (1,2,3) with the comma operator
> (,)((,) 1 2) 3 = ((1,2),3) and not (1,2,3). That's why I thought I needed a
> kind of join operation to 'flatten' this.

As Brent pointed out, you can't without making it very specific. Each length of tuple with its combination of types is a unique type itself; compare to a list, where [a] is the type for a list of any length (including zero) containing elements of type a. A list is trivial to append to, whereas tuples are not designed for "extension" in this manner, per se.
> Indeed (,,) 1 2 3 is (1,2,3). But I do not understand what is happening. Is
> (,,) predefined? Probably not.

And as Brent pointed out also, it is. :)  By the way, so is (,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)!  I suspect GHC allows any number.  The Haskell Report section 6.1.4 [1] says implementations must support up to at least 15.

Cheers,

Arlen

[1] http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/basic.html