[Haskell-beginners] Difference between Char and Data.Char modules

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 21:27:11 CEST 2012

Char dates from the Haskell 98 specification, before hierarchical
modules were standardised. Data.Char is the newer hierarchical module
- it has been the de facto standard for a long time. Haskell 98 is
still supported by GHC but it is no longer the default - I think you
have to provide flags at the command line to get H98 automatically.

I'm not sure if the GLR (or attribute grammar) bits of Happy are
actively used, so you might expect a few infelicities if you try to
use them.