[Haskell-beginners] Concatenating lists

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 17:11:43 CET 2012

The logical issue you're hitting is mostly because the REPL (ghci most likely) is simulating something that you should ignore for the moment (the IO monad).

In Haskell, typically, you don't define one thing, then define another thing "later".  A definition in a Haskell program doesn't assign a value, it binds a value.  While assignment says "a now has the value 5 + 3", binding says "a always has, now has, and always will have the value 5+3".

A Haskell program like this that binds the same value twice is simply incorrect:
a = 5+3
a = 5+4

There are two competing facts here.

When typing into the REPL, you can rebind values, because each subsequent line appears (at least in the logical model) in an inner definition to the past.  This is how scoping comes into it – the later (and hence inner) let takes precedence because it is in a closer scope.

My advice to you would be to stop thinking of trying to re-assign values right now, it's not the correct way to think about a Haskell program at all.

Bob
if (*ra4 != 0xffc78948) { return false; }