[Haskell-beginners] Signals and external bindings...

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed May 2 19:00:41 CEST 2012

I've just finished a QAD project in Python, and expect them to ask
me to build the production version of the same project. I'd like to
switch to Haskell, but (again, for those who noticed) have some
questions I'd like answered.

One problem I ran into is that I use Unix signals to control the
various processes. In CPython, this causes a problem with extension
code because the python signal handler at the C level just note the
signal, then wait to run the Python "signal handler" the next time the
interpreter. Since my extensions are doing the heavy lifting, they
often run for long periods (by which I mean 10s of minutes). Meaning
the signal is ignored for long periods.

Since I expect to such extensions (the wrappers are available) and
want to leave the control mechanisms in place, I'd like to know if I'm
going to have similar problems in Haskell.

      Thanks,
      <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.