[Haskell-beginners] How to solve this using State Monad?

Henry Lockyer henry.lockyer at ntlworld.com
Thu May 31 12:58:47 CEST 2012

Hi kak - ok, my mistake - I interpreted your "candidate for the state monad", and "Please note that I wish your solution to use the Control.Monad.State"
too literally.  Arrows may point the way forward for you then ;-)

I have a suspicion that if the State monad doesn't make sense yet, then Arrows will not be more obvious,
they look like a kind of more generalised monadic structure (though I don't understand them myself yet)
- but maybe a better fit to your problem will in fact make them clearer for you.

Regarding the State monad: I think it may be slightly unfortunate that it gets introduced as THE state monad (I guess Ertugrul may
agree here...) and the initial examples, like the favourite random number generation example, do not make it immediately obvious how
you might apply it more widely.  I certainly experienced a little head-scratching before realising I could simply use things like
"charfunc c = state (stateMC c)".
Another thing that can cause some initial confusion is the fact that the standard implementation seems to have changed since some of the
educational texts were written, so you may find yourself in Hoogle looking at monad transformers before you feel quite ready for them ;-)
Also the standard solution does not export the value constructor so, unlike some examples that you may see, you can only use "State" for
type definitions and you need to use "state" to create an actual value.   I think it is a good idea, as Ertugrul suggested, to write your
own state monad instance, and it avoids these 'noise factors' from the library implem.
/Henry