[Haskell-beginners] exceptions and stacks

Emmanuel Touzery etouzery at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 12:44:07 CET 2012

Hello,

     I'm getting really frustrated by error handling in haskell. By this
I mean "assert"-like errors. Which means, something that should never
happen, happens. This will happen in the development and deployment of
software of any size.
     When coding the feature you'll say, I don't need to handle the
"Nothing" case, because it will never happen, or almost never, and this
is not critical production software.

     But if one day it happens you find yourself with a several thousand
lines program and all you have to debug is the input data (most of the
time anyway, sometimes not even that) and this error message (for instance):

*** Exception: Prelude.head: empty list

     And you don't know even, did you call "head" or maybe a library you
are using called it.

     This is really poor compared to what Java, python and others
offers. I can understand that it's difficult to provide a stack trace,
especially with lazy evaluation, but at least the function name and
maybe a line number... Actually I don't know why it would be so
difficult to also give me the values of the parameters of the
function... using print and if it's a pure function it intuitively
doesn't seem difficult.

     I've tried ghci with :trace and ":set -fbreak-on-exception" and I
got nowhere. It breaks in things which are not important (I have no idea
where it breaks, it claims an exception was thrown, maybe but not in my
code and it never reaches my code for sure). After hitting ":continue"
many times, I get to my exception and there I didn't manage to get
useful information (:hist never printed me anything).

     But I would like not to have to use ghci at all. And to avoid
having to write all over the place in my code these "else" and case
situations for things I assume are impossible (these are cases I would
not write in other modern languages).

     This is a feature for which I would be ready to pay a 50% speed
penalty and 50% memory use penalty.

     I understand if it's the haskell way of writing all those else
clauses... But I think in that case it really makes it compare
negatively to other languages. It would be a real minus in my opinion
(including to code readability).

     I have read (quickly) those but didn't find the solution there:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0.1/html/users_guide/ghci-debugger.html
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/error-handling.html

     Any advice will be welcome! I really hope I missed something.

Emmanuel