[Haskell-beginners] Question about time consume when calculate prime numbers

Yi Cheng chengyidna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:17:54 CEST 2012

Thanks for answering my question, but I'm still confused by some details.
I don't quite agree with you that Eratosthenes algorithm must be
implemented with a complexity of O(n^2) in space. When the n is used to
calculate the primes below it, it can be implemented in space complexity
O(n). For example, in languages, like C/C++, we can allocate a array. So I
think the the complexity of O(n^2) in space you mentioned, is the
complexity of "the beautiful code". So here's the question, can
Eratosthenes algorithm be implemented in a more gentle way?

Then I think maybe there is a more beautiful and practical way to implement
it.
One method of mine is trying to judge whether a number is a prime just by
the primes less than it, such as if the greatest common divisor of the
number and the product of the primes less than it equals to 1. But the
product of the primes is too large.

So I wander if there is a concise method to solve the problem with a faster
method. In my C++ version, the Eratosthenes is implemented in linear space
complexity, and optimize in filtering the numbers which can be divided by a
prime. This code is faster than the original algorithm implemented by me(It
was also implemented it in C++, and slower than the following code).
I know, when writing Haskell code, it would be better to forget some
experience in command-line language, but I want to know whether there is a
faster method to solve the problem.

Thank you.
Yi. Cheng

The code in my c++ version.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main(){
    int p[2000000] = {0};
    long sum = 0;
    int f = 1;
    for(long i=2; i <= 2000000; ++i){
        if(p[i] == 0){
            sum += i;
            for(long j = i * i; j < 2000000; j += i)
                p[j] = 1;
        }
    }
    cout<<sum<<endl;