[Haskell-beginners] Making sense of currying in the context of the Hask Category

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Sep 29 13:09:56 CEST 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:53:11PM -0400, Lino Rosa wrote:
> Thanks for the responses :) I've read on cartesian closed categories,
> but I guess I need more time for it to sink in - my knowlege on
> category theory is *very* limited.
>
> Still, continuing on the Int + Int example. Would this be the sequence
> of transformations, then?

You seem quite set on this idea of there being "a sequence of
transformations", I am not sure why.  When thinking about (+) there
are many different related arrows; some of them form sequences (can be
composed) and some can't.  So this is not necessarily a helpful way of
thinking about things.

> Int -> (Int -> Int) -> Int
>      (+)      (z)      (?)
>
> What do I label the arrow (?) ?

That said, you could label the arrow (?) with something like ($2)
which means "apply a function to the argument 2".

> I understand the first transformation as "function (+) when applied to
> an Int will result in (Int -> Int)". How would I describe function (?)
> similarly ?
> It's almost as it the arrow is z and (?) is the Int and I'm applying z
> to (?), but that makes no sense!
>
> If I understood correctly, 'z' would be a special type, one which when
> applied (?) would return the final Int. This comes Hask being
> cartesian closed. Still I'm clueless on the arrow (?)

I think you actually had it right here.  Indeed it does not make sense
for (?) to be an Int, but it can indeed be a function like "apply the
input to the argument 2".  Having an "apply" operation is one of the
criteria for being cartesian closed.

-Brent