[Haskell-beginners] operations on cyclic data structures

Josh Stratton strattonbrazil at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 20:38:23 CEST 2013

I'm new to haskell and functional programming in general.  One of the
things I've tried to wrap my brain around is dealing with cyclic immutable
data structures like the half-edge data structure.

First, how would an experienced haskeller design their data structures to
perform an operation on this structure?  I've implemented this structure
with mutable structures in c++ but when when I've asked about cyclic
structures I'm pointed to research papers which overwhelm my experience in
immutable data structures like those in haskell.

Also how efficient could this structure be if only a small portion of the
mesh is updated? Would the entire mesh need to be rebuilt?

Thanks.