[Haskell-beginners] two System.IO.Strict modules

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 15:33:11 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Hong Yang <hyangfji at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two modules called the same name: System.IO.Strict, documented
> respectively at
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/strict-io/0.2.1/doc/html/System-IO-Strict.html
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/package/strict-0.3.2
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1)    Will these two modules coexist in the same version of GHC? Or put it
> another way, both modules' .tar.gz files have System/IO/Strict.hs inside,
> will they overlap in physical disk? From where can I tell which locations
> they will be installed to?

Each module gets its own directory tree under /usr/lib/ghc or ~/.ghc.

> 2)    If yes, which module will "import System.IO.Strict" actually use?

This is a bit harder; it will try to pick one, but I don't know the rules.
Ultimately it's best to use -package parameters to tell it which package to
take it from.

This is where building with cabal-install helps, as you specify the package
to use in the manifest and only the packages listed in the manifest will be
visible to ghc.