[Haskell-beginners] Machine Learning/ANN's in Haskell.

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Wed Jan 2 23:20:03 CET 2013

Jack Hunt <jackmileshunt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been interested in Haskell for a long time now, and am
> definitely going to invest a considerable amount of time into learning
> it. Next year is the final year of my CS degree, and I am set on
> having a final year project orientated around ML. Now, my question is
> this:-
>
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Haskell for such a
> project? Bearing in mind of course that I am an absolute beginner.

My experience with using Haskell as a language for neural networks is
very positive.  The code is unusually short and mostly works right away.
It is also much faster than the more common languages like Python and
Common Lisp.

I have uploaded one of my neural network implementations [1] to Hackage.
It shows you how to exploit lazy vectors for expressing the most
important algorithms, including querying the network and backpropagation
learning.

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/instinct

Greets,
Ertugrul