[Haskell-beginners] A Week in and Clueless

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 05:47:07 CET 2013

You should probably start by forgetting everything you know from JS and
Python. Of course I don't mean -everything-, but if you ever end up
thinking `I did it this way in JavaScript so I'll just do the same
here', you're probably not on the right track.

As others suggested, doing some exercises is a good way to get started.
I'd like to add to this by saying that the exercises probably shouldn't
be too much out of scope until you at least finish reading LYAH. It's
quite common to see someone on this mailing list jumping in too fast
which results in very poor Haskell that is just pretty much a direct
translation from a different (often imperative) language.

I do suggest a small project once you finish reading though. It's far
easier to grasp the language if you have to look things up. More often
than not, to use someone's library will require the understanding of the
concept that it's built upon which means that you end up learning more
which is the goal here.

Good luck.