[Haskell-beginners] can't install hackage package

Andres Loeh mail at andres-loeh.de
Mon Jan 21 22:13:52 CET 2013

> $ ghc-pkg list ghc
> /usr/lib64/ghc-7.4.1/package.conf.d
> /home/emmanuel/.ghc/x86_64-linux-7.4.1/package.conf.d

Aha. Is there something like a ghc-ghc package available on Fedora?
Perhaps you need a ghc-ghc-dev as well, I don't know. I'm somewhat
surprised that these aren't installed by default: strictly speaking,
the HP contains GHC itself, and installing the HP should install GHC
with all the core libraries.

Cabal is confused here because "ghc" is a package internal to GHC
which isn't available on Hackage, so if it's not installed together
with GHC, then Cabal has absolutely no info about it. Nevertheless, it
should quit with a meaningful message.

Cheers,
  Andres